Thursday, April 24, 2008

Taste of Uptown Hillcrest Review















I would give 1.5 stars (out of 5) for this event.

What it is: You walk around ( or take shuttle) in Hillcrest to taste and get familiar with what 44 restaurants in Hillcrest area offer.

Cost: $30/person + service fee ( little bit over $3)

Time: April 19th, 12pm-4pm

I was angry after coming across some of the fancy restaurants offered some "dinky" food. For example, Kimosabe only offered brownie-ice cream-sandwich. How is this a representation of this award winning restaurant offer? Another example is Rannoosh Mediterranean Cuisine. They only had a quarter size Falafel ball for me, and they did not even bother to put it in a plate or offer me a napkin. Basically, bunch of Falafel balls in a big bowl and I guess we were supposed to pick it with hand...???? Isn't that unsanitary?

Another thing is that some of the restaurants run out of the food. You know, I don't go to restaurant and prepay for the food then find out they don't have any food for me. That just does not make sense to me.

I must give my honest thanks to some of the restaurants ( I list them below) which had small plate of the real food they serve at regular days. Because without them, I would been starving.
  • Lotus Thai Cuisine ---3761 Sixth Ave., --- delicious. yum :-) Picture on the top of this page
  • St. Tropez Bakery & Bistro ---3805 Fifth Ave.,
  • Bombay Exotic Indian Cuisine ---3960 Fifth Ave., --- very nice decor
  • Pizza Nova ---3955 Fifth Av., ---The best pizza in this event!
  • Chipotle ---734 University Ave. Same good old Chipotle! (picture above)
There were 3 Sushi restaurants.
Good: Ono Sushi ---California roll with mango salsa, Edamame and Sake (nigori). Sake was good.
OK: Sushi Itto ---Just really mediocre place.
Really Bad: Nami Sushi ---"Gotta be kidding me" bad. I had a chance to get a plate, but they ran out of food after my turn around 3pm. The California roll tasted like any other ghetto restaurants and service was bad. I really don't know what is good about this place. Well, I guess they have a prime location in the corner of 5th and University.

One more thing, if you are vegetarian, don't try this event. This event is not vegetarian friendly. Luckily I can eat everything, but my boyfriend who is a (relatively easy) vegetarian starved during this event.

I really like Hillcrest. In deed, I like Hillcrest so much that I live here. I have no ill wish here. I really hope they will improve the event for next year.

1 comment:

calvin dilbert Avi said...

Well it was a bummer! It seems like there was no desire among main restaurants on University Ave (between 5th and 1st) to participate. Many chains participated which do not represent anything that someone needs to drive all the way to Hillcrest to try! But thanks to them, they were the only ones with a heart to offer real genuine food that they serve.

Finally it felt like a rip off. 33 bucks can fetch a decent dinner and great lunch!